Process Engineer/Fermentation Scientist
St. Louis, MO
Elemental Enzymes is looking for a Process Engineer/Fermentation Scientist with experience in submerged fermentation process and scale up of Bacillus and/or other similar microorganisms. The successful candidate will join a team that is passionate about sustainable agriculture and biochemical based solutions.
- Direct and improve the fermentation of microbial strains.
- In collaboration with the formulation group assist in downstream processing experiments – filtration, centrifugation, evaporation and spray drying.
- Work to support the transfer of technology for manufacturing scale.
- Lead a team in the small to medium scale cultivation of microbiological strains including media preparation and culture maintenance.
- Work with internal groups to determine desirable traits of production microbes.
- Maintain detailed records of experimental data and perform data analysis.
- Develop and troubleshoot protocols as needed.
- Capable of interacting effectively within a multidisciplinary team.
- Work with Collaborative team to develop new product concepts
- Master’s or Ph.D in Biological Engineering, Microbiology, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, or a related field +5 years or more of experience in laboratory operations in a commercial or academic research laboratory.
- Fermentation development background with knowledge of scale up concerns when going from lab to manufacturing scale is recommended.
- Experience with submerged fermentation techniques and industrial microbiology is highly preferred.
- Proven ability to budget time and manage several distinct projects at once.
- Energetic and self-motivated individual able to work in a team environment with an eagerness to develop, learn and adopt new methods.
- Physical Characteristics
- Reaching: Extending hand(s) and arm(s) in any direction.
- Standing: Particularly for sustained periods of time.
- Walking: Moving about on foot to accomplish tasks, particularly for long distances or moving from one work site to another.
- Lifting: Raising objects from a lower to a higher position or moving objects horizontally from position-to-position. This factor is important if it occurs to a considerable degree and requires substantial use of upper extremities and back muscles.
- Fingering: Picking, pinching, typing or otherwise working, primarily with fingers rather than with the whole hand as in handling.
- Grasping: Applying pressure to an object with the fingers and palm.
- Feeling: Perceiving attributes of objects, such as size, shape, temperature or texture by touching with skin, particularly that of fingertips.
- Talking: Expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word. Those activities in which they must convey detailed or important spoken instructions to other workers accurately, loudly, or quickly.
- Hearing: Perceiving the nature of sounds at normal speaking levels with or without correction. Ability to receive detailed information through oral communication, and to make the discriminations in sound.
- Repetitive motion: Substantial movements (motions) of the wrists, hands, and/or fingers.
- None: The worker is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions
- Those with this position must be able to work in Biosafety Level 1 and 2 Laboratories which can cause more illnesses to those with immunocompromised systems.
Job Location: Flexible with time commitments to Headquarters, St. Louis, MO, United States
Position Type: Full-Time/Regular/ Salary/ Non-Exempt
Salary: Competitive base range
Benefits: Employee Stock Options, 401K, Healthcare, Dental, Vision, Life, HSA
About Elemental Enzymes
Elemental Enzymes Ag and Turf, is a life sciences company that discovers, develops and produces innovative products to increase crop yields. Elemental Enzymes was founded in 2011 on technology to make and stabilize novel enzymes and has grown to address the agriculture market with enzyme and chemical technologies that have an “outside in” approach to address crop needs. Elemental Enzymes is delivering world class products to top agricultural companies through license and sales opportunities. Elemental Enzymes is looking for energetic, challenge driven staff to continue support of current products and lead its’ innovative pipeline to market.
Please email a cover letter and CV/Resume with the Subject Line: Process Engineer/Fermentation Scientist to firstname.lastname@example.org. References required upon request.